Exodus 37:1-3

And he said to me, “Son of man, can these bones live?” And I answered, “O Lord God, you know.”

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

2 Weeks!

I couldn't believe that after a spine injury that left me paralyzed, I was being sent home after only 2 weeks! Not only that, but it was decided just days after my admittance! I arrived on the 20th of December. Just a few days in, and I was using my wheelchair, getting the hang of transferring on my own, and standing in the standing frame. I felt like I was being punished for recovering quickly. Still! I had read that a typical stay after my type of injury was 4-6 weeks. I was so upset with my insurance company! I wanted to fight it. No! I wanted someone else to fight it! I had SO much going on, that I just couldn't think about what would be involved to argue my case. So I prayed.

At first I prayed to stay longer, feeling that rehab was were I HAD to be. And I asked others to pray with me. I had faith that God would take care of me. My physical therapist was sceptical about me staying longer. However she and others made an effort to get me more time, arguing my case with the insurance company. As I may have mentioned in an earlier post, the facility I was in was out of network, but covered for me because the Kaiser facility was full.

As I kept praying, my prayers became more flexible. “Lord, if you bring me home in 2 weeks, help me to be ready.” I knew I was making remarkeable progress, but in my heart of hearts I wanted to walk out of there. It seemed like if I had even 3 weeks it would happen. When I realized I was going to have to go home in a wheelchair, have a commode in my room, and give myself shots in the stomach for my blood thinner, I was broken hearted. I cried and lamented that I was NOT where I wanted to be in my progress. I didn't want the kids to see me like that. And I was scared. Every time I felt down, God was there. His presence was unmistakeable. Whenever I prayed, he soon filled me with his comfort and joy. (See earlier posts)

Even as this was going on, Christmas trees and decorations were going up in the visitor/gathering room. My focus was on therapy, healing, and prayer. It didn't feel like Christmas to me at all...until...I was surprised with my very own Christmas miracle! My doctor gave me the hope of going home on Christmas day! However, there were a few things that had to be done before I was released for an outing. I had to have a home home visit with my OT. Sam and I had to be cleared for wheelchair transfers and be able to navigate steps and doorways. And I believe we were watching how I was doing medically. It wasn't a done deal, but it was a good possibility! I cried tears of longing when I first heard the news! I just couldn't tell the boys until I was sure. I had a goal that first week!

And then this...!



My girlfriends from Tuesday night bible study came to see me! (There are even more that couldn't make it that night). They have been such a blessing! Their friendship, laughter and prayers! This picture was taken just before Christmas. I think it was the 23rd. These ladies surprised me with so many gifts! A warm cozy blanket to snuggle with (so much nicer than hospital linens), a coloring book and pencils, snacks, and even a tiny christmas tree! I was SO surprised and touched. Having them there felt like the beginning of Christmas for me. Not only that, but they bought and wrapped all of the presents for my 2 boys. Sam didn't even have to think about shopping! Our boys were being loved and taken care of, and of course so were we!

That night we talked, laughed and prayed together. Of course we asked God to help me get home for Christmas day. These ladies brought/bring me so much joy! Then the next day, my dear friend brought me one final surprise. After visiting me, they had stayed up late to personalize a journal bible for me. They had picked out encouraging verses to write and illustrate along the margins. It made me cry. Can you tell I am quick with my tears? I always have been. Quick to smile and quick to cry. Often doing both at the same time! Like this day. And also....Christmas Day!!!

I made it! I found out Christmas Eve that I could go! When my oldest asked if I was going to be home for Christmas, I got to say “Yes!”. It was fantastic! It was exhausting! But I made it! God is good! And these boys got more presents that year than we would ever have purchased on my our own! Thanks ladies for caring for my kids so abundantly! Our family felt so loved by your generosity.



No comments:

Post a Comment